AVRDUDESS – A GUI for AVRDUDE

AVRDUDESS is a GUI for AVRDUDE, a tool for programming Atmel microcontrollers.

Some key features:

• Supports all programmers and MCUs that AVRDUDE supports
  • Supports presets, allowing you to change between devices and configurations quickly and easily
  • Drag and drop files for easy uploading
  • Automatically lists available COM ports
  • Cross-platform with the use of Mono for Linux & macOS
Like AVRDUDESS? Leave a tip!

Downloads

LATEST
Download
AVRDUDESS-2.13-setup.exe (1.95 MB)
AVRDUDESS 2.13 (Installer for Windows Vista and newer)
Downloaded 1938 times
MD5: FC1C306CCA78D5FB3A1058F35EA44A46

LATEST
Download
AVRDUDESS-2.13-portable.zip (596.72 KB)
AVRDUDESS 2.13 (Portable for any OS)
Downloaded 681 times
MD5: 42A5DD458425F18F82C82AE30A4D5934

Source available on GitHub

Requirements
Windows
Requires .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 or newer. All systems since Windows Vista will have the required version already installed.

Linux & macOS
Can be ran using Mono.
Has not been tested on macOS, but should work. Might need the --arch=32 argument.
mono --arch=32 avrdudess.exe

Installing on Ubuntu 18.04
Install Mono (this is the minimum required, you can use mono-complete for a full install):
sudo apt-get install libmono-system-windows-forms4.0-cil
On older versions of Ubuntu you might need to use libmono-winforms2.0-cil instead.

Install AVRDUDE and AVR-GCC (for avr-size):
sudo apt-get install avrdude gcc-avr

Run AVRDUDESS with mono, you might have to run as root (sudo) so that AVRDUDE can access ports if you haven’t changed any permissions or rules.d stuff:
mono avrdudess.exe

463 comments

30 pings

Skip to comment form

• Dave on May 19, 2020 at 4:34 am

Zak,

I’m getting this error when i launch Avrdudess.exe on windows 7 Pro. It used to work fine up until recently. I tried both the installer and portable version still the same error. I tried disabled the AV still not working. I also tried another pc and it loads fine any idea why it doesn’t work on this computer anymore? Thanks

ERROR: avrdude is missing!
    >>>: avrdude

1. Hi Dave, in options make sure the avrdude location is blank so it tries to find it automatically. If it’s already blank then try setting it to the install location of avrdudess.

• Dave on May 21, 2020 at 5:47 pm

Thank you, I empty that field an it works now.

• George on May 22, 2020 at 1:35 am

Hey Zak,
    Is there a way to encrypt a hex file or an arduino code and upload it. Handy when sharing files but not the code itself.

1. Hi George, hex files don’t contain your original code, but compiled code (in Intel Hex format). It can be disassembled, but then you end up with assembly code. If you really want to encrypt your stuff then you’ll need a bootloader that can decrypt it when uploading to the Arduino, like this one https://github.com/sirgal/AVR-EAX-AES-bootloader
      Make sure to set the lock bits so that the decrypted code can’t be read from the flash afterwards.

• Joseph T Tannenbaum on June 17, 2020 at 2:06 am

I just ran into a problem I don’t remember having before. I can load an Nano with the ch340 chip from the arduino ide, but it hangs in Avrdudess ver 2.12. Does avrdudess recognize the port with the ch340? I don’t remember if I loaded a nano this way before.

1. The CH340 shows as a standard serial port so there shouldn’t be any issues there. Are you able to press stop when it hangs, and does it show anything in the console output?

• Micha on July 2, 2020 at 6:08 pm

Is there a way to load a preset automatically when it starts? I had set it up like this before, but I can’t remember how I did it. I don’t mean the “Load previous settings” Option. The presets always start with default and not with the last used preset.

1. Hey Micha, you can specify the preset to as the first command line argument – C:/path/to/avrdudess.exe "Your Preset Name"

• Micha on July 3, 2020 at 4:30 pm

Hi Zak. Thank you for your answer. But unfortunately I still don’t understand exactly how to do it. I created a preset for my USBasp programmer at Preset Manager. But every time I open avrdudess again, the preset is back to default. I can select my preset for my USBasp in the list, but I want it to be activated automatically when avrdudess starts. I’ve already looked in … \ AppData \ Roaming \ AVRDUDESS \ config (and) \ presets, but I can’t find a way to change it.

1. In older versions it would load your previously loaded preset (which would wipe any changes you did after loading the preset), but in newer versions it loads all of the previous settings instead (hex file, fuse settings, which options were ticked etc). Preset is set to Default, however it isn’t actually loading the Default preset (I should maybe set the preset box to a blank name). The best way to specify a preset to load when opening would probably be to create a new shortcut to avrdudess.exe, right click it and go to properties then at the end of the Target box add a space then the name of your preset in quote marks.

• Eitan on July 20, 2020 at 12:57 pm

Hi Zak
    The GUI is not showing up,but still exist in process list.
    I have installed the AVRDUDESS portable on a new win10 and it showed the GUI OK.
    I have changed the avrdude path to the arduino location.
    And after restart The GUI is not showing up,but exist in process list.
    I have tried also the installer version of AVRDUDESS but no change.GUI does not appear anymore.
    What is the solution?

1. Hi Eitan, looks like you’ve found a bug! If AVRDUDESS can’t find avrdude.exe then it won’t be able to start up (arduino avrdude.exe is in arduino-x.x.x\hardware\tools\avr\bin, though AVRDUDESS already comes with its own avrdude.exe and .conf).
      The easiest way to fix this is to go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\AVRDUDESS and delete config.xml.

• Eitan on July 20, 2020 at 2:12 pm

Thanks Zak
        It worked like a charm.
        In the portable version, Why not putting the config.xml file in the same directory of the AVRDUDESS?
        Best Regards
        Eitan

1. Awesome 😀 Yea I forgot about making the portable version read from its own directory instead of the user data folders. That will be fixed in the next release.

• Nirosh on July 25, 2020 at 12:10 pm

Hi Zak,

I got “ERROR: Update check failed: Error: SecureChannelFailure (The authentication or decryption has failed.)” while I open the avrdudess application.

I tried to find a solution in google but unfortunately couldn’t find a proper solution for that.
    Can you give me a solution? please..

1. This is usually caused by using an old operating system (like Windows XP) that does not support the newer encryption methods used by the web server.

1. […] Saya mengunakan avrdudess, […]